Friday, October 27, 2017

Jolly Phonics Practice, Resources, and Extension

Hi all!  Tonight in your kinder's folder there are a couple of resources for Jolly Phonics practice at home.  I know you all have watched our videos on Seesaw, Instagram, or Twitter.  I'm sure your kinder is singing these songs at home.  And I'm sure you feel very apprehensive to try and practice these sounds at home because you might know what some of the sounds are, but you aren't exactly sure on all of the sounds.  I CAN HELP WITH THAT!!  Here is what you have in your kinder's folder tonight! 

This is a packet that has a quick explanation of what the sound and action is for each letter or digraph.  Teaching phonetic spelling and using phonics to decode was something I don't remember being taught as a student.  If you were anything like me, this was a pretty foreign concept.  Here is a quick crash course in the Jolly Phonics curriculum.  It will have a picture and action that is associated to each sound.  These actions and pictures will go with the songs that we have shared on social media, and the flashcards that came home with your kinder earlier this week.

Actions Link

The second packet is an even quicker refresher on each Jolly Phonics sound/action.  I usually put this on my fridge to review sounds/actions when I was working in the kitchen and the first packet I used more when we were practicing together in a more intimate setting before reading his Take Home Book. 
Actions Packet Link

Lastly, there is a handout with a some progressions outlined for using the Jolly Phonics sounds.  You can read through these progression and gain some ideas on how to use the Jolly Phonics flashcards your kinder brought home with the activities listed.

Jolly Phonics Progression Activities Link
Let me know if there is anything I can help support your learning at home...I am happy to help!  This year has flown by so far.  I am excited to talk with you more in depth at Parent/Teacher Conferences on Wednesday, November 15th and Monday, November 20th.  More information about signing up for these conferences will be communicated next week!  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment