Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Sight Words

If you feel like your kinder's sight words might be the death of you...don't look in their folder tonight!  I am sending the remainder of the flashcard sets home today.  If you notice that there are some sets that you don't have, please let me know because we can get you extra copies!!  Some books that we are reading are starting to have more and more of these words in them, so we want to be prepared.  Make sure when you are practicing at home that you are practicing for automatically.  When I test at school, I am marking a word wrong if the student does not produce the word within 3 seconds.  I know this sounds harsh, but just know that there is a reason to our madness!  When we encounter a sight word in a book, we cannot stop the flow of the sentence to try and sound it out or recall what the word is.  When we do this, it takes away the meaning we have read thus far.  Many of the kinders are not fluent enough to know that they should re-read the sentence to make sure they understand what is happening in the book, so by the end of the story they have no clue what happened.  You will notice that when I email out the audio clips from their reading, you will hear some of the comprehension questions that I ask at the end of the book.  Try to mimic these conversations at home as well!  Good luck!!

Here is a copy of all of the sight words in Kindergarten.  Make sure and let me know if this link doesn't work and I will get you a hard copy in your kinder's folder!  Happy practicing!!--Kim

https://docs.google.com/a/benton.k12.ia.us/document/d/1Dqak_Nu-51pdywUYFISl-rtDbELoG1KKeGtttVlRHiY/edit

No comments:

Post a Comment